About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Hugo Award nominations close soon - please consider SCIENCE FICTION AND THE MORAL IMAGINATION

Nominations for the Hugo Awards close very soon - on 16 March 2018.

This year, I have a book, Science Fiction and the Moral Imagination: Visions, Minds, Ethics, that is eligible in the "Best Related Work" category. If you are eligible to nominate work for the Hugo Awards, please consider nominating Science Fiction and the Moral Imagination.

Only do so if you genuinely think it is worthy of appearing on the shortlist - I'm not asking for favours from people who don't actually think that. Nor, sadly, do I have any bribes to offer. On the other hand, I don't have a big enough name (or enough of a network of relevant people) that I am one of the usual suspects when the time comes around for these awards. A book by me from an academic publisher, even an excellent international publisher like Springer, won't immediately come to a lot of people's minds.

So ... this is your reminder that the book exists, has been getting good feedback so far (though I have yet to see any formal reviews, i.e. other than Amazon reviews), and might reasonably be thought up to the required standard. I'm nudging you to at least consider it.

No comments: